Wednesday, March 23, 2011

MCAS-tic

So, unfortunately I don't get to see ALL of the kids today. Or yesterday. Or tomorrow. I have a hard time not being able to "teach" all day...but that's ok, because we are taking the ELA MCAS!

So, while I have been staring at the kids taking the test, I have also been brainstorming about our next unit(Heredity). It is my FAVORITE topic to teach, and it was what I did my biological research in college. Interestingly enough, I am not published in the field of genetics, but did the preliminary work on looking at the chalcone synthase gene in gesneriads and members of the genus st. paulia. zzzzzzzzzz I know.

On a more exciting front, I am published!! It, however, is through the American Society of Microbiology.

One of the activities I will be doing with the kids during this unit, but we don't JUST use bananas. We use any fruits and veggies the kids bring in!!

http://teachers.egfi-k12.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/mda-dna-bananabwpdf.final21.pdf

Another activity I co-authored with Dr. Gallo:

http://tnst.randolphcollege.edu/apply10/inst_mats/handouts/Biology/7b%20BIOL%206-8%20Effect%20of%20Nitrate%20and%20Phosphate%20on%20the%20Growth%20of%20Algae%20mda.pdf


SO, in my few classes I have for science today, we are going to the computer lab!! While in the computer lab, we will be on www.explorelearning.com doing a few, fun GIZMO activities! If you want to check it out, you can get a free 30 day trial, or even view some gizmos as a guest, and let me know what you thought by commenting below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before being released for posting.