Friday, April 1, 2011

Soybeans and some Spongebob!

I don't know why, but Spongebob makes kids happy.  A few years back I discovered a set of worksheets created by Tracy Trimpe, and they use Spongebob to teach genetics.  For some bizarre reason this is a genius idea.  I heard kids excited about it in the hallway.  BEFORE they got to class.  That means, they talked about it.  That means it caught their attention!!

So the words of the day were:

Homozygous

Heterozygous

Genotype

Phenotype


Then we applied these words and put them to work doing a little Spongebob Genetics!

NO visible changes in the seeds yet...I will update photos on Monday...but I did take pics today. 

Hopefully they will grow a little by then:)

So, over the weekend, have your child explain to you how they used our friend Spongebob (from the previously thought to be educationally useless cartoon) to learn about GENES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before being released for posting.